Our family lives in winter wonderland. Alaska is the magical last frontier that sparkles with hoarfrost and surprises you with northern lights dancing in the sky. We have experienced both of these wonders during this winter season. But, there must be opposition in all things. It has been the coldest January that we can remember since we've lived in Alaska. We have been consistently below 0° for the entire month. Some days we have enjoyed an invigorating -20°. And, just last Saturday, -29°. So, what do you do in the wintertime when all the world is cold? Layer up! It's all about layers. And, the right kind of layers. Not cotton. Polypropelene. You know, that fabric that wicks away the moisture/sweat from your body. Fleece. Ahhh, yes I'm talking about warmth. Then, you need a shell layer to protect you from any wind that might kick up. Hand warmer packets and face masks come in handy too. So, as you enjoy the pictures posted here, please smile as you admire my fashion statement. I have 6 layers on my upper body and 3 on my lower level. Was I warm while running? Yes! It's amazing. People think Ray and I are 'crazy' for running at these frigid temperatures, but we really are warm and protected. You have to be prepared to face the cold, but it can be done. Think about the people that live in Fairbanks, Barrow, etc. Think about the dog mushers that run the Iditarod. Embracing winter in Alaska is possible. It's essential to invest in the right gear. Then, you can get out and enjoy the adventures awaiting you.

McKinley bundled up w/ "Christmas Bear" during a stroller run w/ Mommy.

Ray skiing with Kary. Look at that incredible snow on the trees.

Kary in her -20° running uniform. Can you believe I'm so fashionable? Who would have thought that this swing choir girl would turn into rugged runner girl? : )

Got love my smile! It's under there somewhere.

Ray at the Frosty Bottom event. -5° when they started the event at 9am a few weeks ago in Anchorage. Runners, skiers, and bikers endured the 25 mile event. Ray did great! And, there were certainly some frosty bottoms. ; )
3 comments:
If you could only eliminate the ice that comes with winter.....
Great Pictures. Miss all of it.
Love, Mom
You guys are nuts! Just looking at you makes me cold! It seems like Alaskans rise to the occasion -- you do what you gotta do. I used to run in the frigid cold of AK, but ever since we moved away, I am a LOT wimpier with weather! I hate being cold! Good for you guys for doing what it takes, it is all about layers! Love ya!
Love the pictures Kary! Gotta love Alaska. I LOVE how amazing you are. Love you Kary.
Love, Tessa
Post a Comment