Saturday, November 17, 2007

Count Your Blessings!






Thanks to Mari for helping me to magnify myself. : )
Welcome to "Kary's Korner." When you come to visit my "korner," I hope you will consider it a time for "time out."
I will share current events in my life that will hopefully offer inspiration to you. I enjoy reading other's blogs. They inspire me. Since Thanksgiving is next week, I chose a quote from Sister Bonnie D. Parkin on gratitude. She discusses the blessings of a "blessing basket." I'm going to start one with my family tonight and encourage you to do the same.

Sister Parkin shares the following:

Blessing Basket

"Let me share a sweet story with you. A family was going through a difficult time. It was hard for them not to focus on their challenges. The mother wrote: "Our world had completely crumpled, so we turned to Heavenly Father for guidance. Almost immediately we realized that we were surrounded by goodness and were being cheered on from every side. We began as a family to express our gratitude to each other as well as to the Lord daily. A close friend pointed out to me that our family's 'blessing basket' was overflowing. From that conversation came a sort of game, which my children and I grew to love. Before family prayer each night we would talk about how our day had gone and then share with each other all of the many blessings that had been added to our 'blessing basket.' The more we expressed gratitude, the more there was to be grateful for. We felt the love of the Lord in a significant way as opportunities for growth presented themselves."2
What would a "blessing basket" add to your family?"

I remember a couple of years ago, my friend Cheryl Ekstrom made me a knitted basket. I told her I was going to make it my gratitude basket. So, for a few weeks, I would write down a blessing from the day that I was grateful for. Such as: Mom's cooking, warm blankets, Christmas lights, games, feeling loved, etc. I would put the slips of paper in my basket and then pull them out occassionally when I needed a pick me up or a reminder of all the good life has offered me. I highly recommend you try, I know you'll like it. : )

Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm thankful for all of you. You have filled my blessing basket many times over. Thanks!

Love,
Kary

The pictures above show you some of the blessings of life for which I am most grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

KARY!!!!

I'm excited you have your own blog now. I look forward to hearing ALL you have to say. I always do! I'm grateful that we can be grateful year-round (everyday of our lives) rather than just at this time of the year with Thanksgiving. I wish more people would take the time to recognize all of the blessings Heavenly Father gives to them on a daily basis...and that more people would be "more" committed to Him and our Savior on a daily basis!

You are one of my greatest blessings! I love you a lot!

Love, Tess

Anonymous said...

Yo ho Tess! Thanks for checking in. This is all new to me, but Mari assures me that it's worth it. It's like doing family history. So, I'm all for that. And, she told me you can save it all on a disc to pass on to posterity, so that's all good.

Hey, do you have a blog? Let me know. I would totally check it out!

May the force (for good) be w/ you tomorrow for your talk.
Hugs,
Kary

Mari said...

Hooray!

I am glad you have found some time to use it! If you want to change anything, we can totally do that, I will teach you!

Thanks for the gratitude thoughts...sometimes it is hard to remember when things are not perfectly sweet. For example, the dividends that we thought we were getting (3 of them) we are not (though they said we were - they changed their minds).

So, Christmas will be a bit more humble this year. Oh well, it is just money right? Still, we are pretty bummed about it. I am sure in years to come we will laugh about it. For now we will try to force a smile. :-) It is a huge loss...oh well.

Lots of love to you guys!

Keep up the blog work - I LOVE to know how you guys are doing and your thoughts etc. It is a way to have a voice and to keep in touch!

Love, Mari

Cheryl said...

Kary!

I am so excited to see that you have a blog. It is so happy and friendly! I love the smiley face, it is so totally you!! I think I need Mari to teach me how to make my blog more fun and more me!!

Thank you for the blessing basket quote. I have been thinking about what to do to keep all of the wonderful things we have been blessed with upmost in my mind. I am going to get a basket (I have a knitted one too that I made for me!!) and each night I will have Luke, Scott and I write down a blessing of the day and put them in the basket. It will be fun to see what kinds of things we consider blessings!!

Thanks for passing some sunshine down to me through this blog!! I totally needed some today!!

LOTS of love!!

Cheryl